#93: The Apartment (1960)

Starring: Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Fred MacMurray
Director: Billy Wilder
IMDB

Emily says:

I didn't expect much out of this film but utterly enjoyed it! I loved how the main character supplemented his income by renting out his apartment to co-workers and then got in over his head. I could totally relate to the character's inability to say no - even when in got him in trouble.

I thought the romance in the film was incredibly well done. Shirley MacLaine played the part wonderfully, and the development of confidence by both characters as they grow to care about each other was really nice. Too often in films like this, two spineless characters just form a co-dependent union that is unsatisfying, but the romance of these two helps them to become better characters.

This movie is both hilarious and touching. Probably my second favorite on the list (as of #51).



Paul says:

What a pleasant surprise this film was. I had no idea what to expect from it, but loved what I got. The main character is an office flunky who doesn't know how to say no to anybody. His bosses all use his apartment to carry on affairs behind their respective wives' backs. The whole thing spirals downhill and he's left almost shut out of his own apartment. My favorite part is probably the disapproving neighbors who think the main character is an unapologetic playboy. The end ultimately is very touching. Few films can pull of humor this well and still manage to be poignant. This is one, and I heartily approve.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment