#25: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Emily says:
There were a huge number of excellent scenes in this movie that I had completely forgotten about.  I remembered the part with the Reese's Pieces and the part where ET is in the closet, but I had completely forgotten about the wonderful part when ET gets drunk and so does Elliot at school.  The scene when drunk Elliot releases all the frogs is hilarious!

Perhaps the most surprising part of this movie for me this time around was how touched I was by Spielberg's depiction of Elliot's loneliness, and realistic strained family tensions around the kids' father having left the family and taken his new girlfriend to Mexico.  I was struck by how well the story of an alien left behind by his ship and a little boy who is lonely could mesh together.

On another note, the version we watched was updated with a few CGI scenes (including ET taking a bath) that were quite impressive, especially in how well they meshed with the older parts of the film.

Paul says:

No comments:

Post a Comment