#91: My Fair Lady (1964)


Starring: Audrey Hepburn, Rex Harrison, Stanley Holloway
Director: George Cukor
IMDB

Emily says:
I really enjoyed this movie. Eliza Doolittle is spunky and fun. The music is enjoyable. The costumes fabulous. Audrey Hepburn is okay - but she's no Julie Andrews. The lack of change in Henry Higgins' character irks me (see Paul's post below) and the ending seems a little contrived - but its a musical after all! It's fun to watch and I just wish that Julie Andrews had played Eliza in the movie as well as on stage!


Paul says:
Here we continue our theme of musicals that were not nearly as bad as Paul thought they would be. There are some birlliantly funny scenes and clever lines/lyrics. The thing that bugs me here is that at the end of the movie the protagonist - the likable poor street-dwelling Eliza Doolittle - goes back to Prof. Henry Higgins in spite of the fact that he's shown no remorse for being cold, cruel, and demeaning towards her. He doesn't deserve her, and she doesn't deserve him for completely separate reasons. Other than that, I honestly have no complaints - quite a surprise really.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment