#17: The African Queen (1951)

Emily says:
I didn't expect much out of this film after seeing some of the Katharine Hepburn/Humphrey Bogart films later in the list.  I have to say though, that Hepburn comes off as less of an airhead in this film than in Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story.

I found Hepburn's character both funny and strong, and immensely enjoyed her growth from a somewhat uptight know-it-all into a woman who enjoyed and appreciated Bogart's character.  One thing I especially enjoyed was what this movie said about companionship - Bogart and Hepburn's characters learned to work together to get out of some pretty tight situations in the film, and I think that working together is a big part of love - even if it's not all that romantic.

Some of the green screen effects were really awful, but besides that this movie was a pleasure to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment