#54: All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

Emily says:

I had low expectations for this movie because I read the book in High School and I remember it going on and on for ages and not enjoying it whatsoever. The movie is a big improvement on the book though (or maybe if I read the book now I'd feel differently). I don't remember the book being so anti-war, but the movie does a great job showing the war-mongering of society through the schoolteacher's character. The training of the enlisted classmates and their deployment shows how the civilian mentality and the soldier mentality are totally different from one another, and how war really changes those who take part in it.

 I particularly enjoyed how the filmmakers showed the passage of time in the boots passed from one dead soldier to another, the brutality of trench warfare, and the tragic ending with the butterfly. This is a movie that reminded me of how quickly we can get swept up into nationalism and militarism as humans, and even though it was made after the First World War, it is applicable today as the US fights 2 wars abroad, and I am saddened to know that the brutality of war will continue into our futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment