#45: A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

Emily says:

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this film and the discussion that Paul and I had about it. I read this play as part of my high school curriculum, but apparently they don't do that north of the Mason-Dixon line, so Paul had never read the play or seen the movie before.

What I enjoyed the most about the movie was the classical questions of Southern class systems - the confrontations between a genteel but penniless southern belle and her brutish immigrant brother-in-law.

Vivian Leigh makes a fantastic Blanche du Bois - she embodies the character's fragility and relentless desire to be properly pleasing just the way I had imagined it from the play. I was surprised by the ending of the film. While the play ends with Stella being embraced by her abusive husband, the movie ends with her running upstairs vowing to never return. This is just one of the ways that the movie is much less troubling than the play.

Paul says:

No comments:

Post a Comment