#96: The Searchers (1956)

Starring: John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, Vera Miles
Director: John Ford
IMDB

Emily says:

Now, you have to remember that I am not the Western-lover that Paul is - I've seen some good Westerns but I wouldn't count this as one of them. I thought it was terribly long, one dimensional, and lacking characters in whom you could invest enough to merit the length of the film. Most of all, I didn't think the landscape looked at all like the Northwest part of Texas it was meant to be set in and this continually irked me throughout the film. This one wouldn't have made the list if it had been me deciding.

Paul says:

As someone who's seen a lot of Westerns with Eastwood and not a lot with John Wayne, this wasn't quite what I was expecting, they each have their own style and make for very different movies. This movie was certainly ranging and epic in scale, and there are a lot of beautiful scenes, but in the end there was a lot of wandering around in various landscapes. There's a pseudo-happy ending, but I don't even know if that's satisfying. There are some side-plots that feel kind of contrived and cobbled together, not enough time given to make them real, too much to just ignore them. I dunno, I guess that if a Western isn't going to be terribly substantive and is just gonna be pretty, the least we can ask for is some great action or a lot of cheesy one-liners, right?

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment