#46: A Clockwork Orange (1971)


Paul Says:

Emily Says:
This movie was creepy. I know that Kubrick's movies are always weird, but this one exceeded my expectations of creepiness. (Not a very substantive analysis on my part, but the truth). The sexual brutality and graphic violence were just too much for me to stomach.  I know I am extra-sensitive to these things (thanks mom...) but seriously, it was just gross.

 On the other hand I thought the treatment of using Pavlovian training on criminals to be somewhat interesting, and at times entertaining, but I wished that this movie had more to say about the nature of criminality and the appropriate response. I did find the judgment (condemnation?) of modern English society and politics entertaining, though.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this movie by sneaking into a French theater when I was about 13. I totally agree that this movie was creepy. It gave me nightmares for weeks. But it's definitely a classic.

    I think the creepiest part is the use of "Singing in the Rain" while they were beating up folks. Whenever I hear this song now, it brings back memories of the movie.

    Another one like this is Reservoir Dogs, where they cut off that dude's ear to Stuck In the Middle With You (Steve Miller song). I can't hear that song without going, "Yeech".

    ReplyDelete